Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab Dr. Hardcrab is offline

Default diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace?

"Pete C." wrote in message
lp13-30 wrote:

Right now Diesel is about $3.249 at the pump. Several people have posted
in here in the last few days about heating oil being almost exactly the
same price, so it looks like there would be no benefit in using Diesel
in a heating system, or heating oil in a Diesel vehicle, from a cost
standpoint. Larry

Little or no financial benefit as far as cost per gallon, but for folks
not on automatic delivery who aren't paying attention and let their
heating tank run dry, it's much cheaper to take two 5gal cans to the gas
station and use that to keep the furnace running until getting a normal
delivery the next day vs. an emergency delivery.

Correct. That was my point too.

Back when I did service work, if you were our cutomer and you ran out during
the middle of the night, *I* would show up with two 5 gallon cans of either
deisel or K1 (kerosene).......