Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace?

dpb wrote:
George wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote:
wrote in message

can i use diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? if so wich diesel
can i use?
Yes, or K-1 (kerosene).

Yes, essentially the only differences between the #2 heating oil in your
tank and the #2 diesel at the pump are the transportation fuel taxes you
pay at the pump and the red dye they put in the non taxed heating oil.
Otherwise they are interchangeable functionally, and the heating oil is
also known as "off road diesel" since it's legal to use in off road
equipment.

It is a little more complicated than that. Diesel fuel typically is
sold as "diesel fuel" not a particular # oil. If the diesel fuel is
sold in a freezing climate a certain percentage of #1 is mixed in to
minimize fuel gelling effects.

It's a whole lot more complicated than that...

Agree.

"...multifunctional diesel fuel additive packages are built around ...
dispersant/detergent technology which meets the requirements for
...injector cleanliness. ... The detergent can be combined with other
functional components such as lubricity improver, cold flow improver,
deicer, cetane improver, corrosion inhibitor and/or demulsifier to
deliver additional benefits..."

W/O the additional lubricity specifically, no modern diesel engine will
last long and the injector-cleanliness requirements as well as S limits
on road-fuels are significant factors. Underneath, yes, it's "fuel
oil", but the engine-diesel is far more sophisticated a product.

--

I didn't want to get into it that deep but what you wrote is accurate.
My buddy has a liquid fuels business and he often tells me of all of the