Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default How to Cut Kindling?

In message , Davy
writes

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Davy wrote:
I've just bought a rather nice 2kg hand axe which is very efficient for
cutting small logs for kindling. But it is very sharp and I would like

keep all my fingers. Anybody recommend a way of holding the log steady
whilst I take a swing at it with the axe?

With a piece of kindling. You just have to cut the first piece

carefully...

thanks guys, your suggestion does have the advantage that if I accidentally
hit the piece of kindling that I am using to steady the log then no harm is
done to the axe. Not true of my first attempt when I used bbq tongs!
I have just had a log burning stove installed so I'm suddenly needing to
learn new skills - including how to use a 6lb log-splitting maul. That is
some animal!

BRG's post does leaves a nasty taste in the mouth though. But I suppose
that if you ask questions on a newsgroup then you've got to expect
occasional replies/trolls like that.

Sorry, but I completely agree with him

I can't believe anyone can be so clueless

--
geoff