Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Domestic grease trap?

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:19:03 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

I normally try not to put any fat down our sink and when I do, I make sure I
use plenty of detergent & hot water but I was a bit horrified when our
drains were dug up (for an extension, not for blockage) to see this.

http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/yuck.jpg

Three or four years ago, when I visited a sewage treatment works of
our local water company, they showed me a waste pipe about 4 feet
diameter, a lot of which was fed from a potato crisp factory.
Without exaggeration, there was a layer of grey solid grease some 18
inches thick, which regularly blocked the pipe.

The difficulty the water company had was that the pipe had been
largely paid for by the above factory.

--
Frank Erskine