Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best way to remove heavy duty limescale

The Weary Wizard wrote:
The apartment I've just moved into is very nice, apart from the fact
that the toilet is encrusted with an appalling amount of limescale
around the rim etc.

I would be interested to know of your recommendations as to the best
stuff to use to banish it. What would be the best form of abrasive
for tackling this?

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar situation.

We bough ****loads (apt, as it turned out) of gel descaler, and a quart
of brick acid.

Both ate through the scale slowly, and I ended up knocking off lumps
with a chisel.

Every night the bowl was filled with acid and left.

The rim wasnt too bad, but round the bend was evil. It was about half
the diameter it should have been and not JUST scale., Layers of scale ad
****. Years of scale and ****. Took about a week of acid, chipping, and
flushing for an hour after work each day, to clean it all up.

The good news is it all did clean up.

Thats when I decided to never be without brick acid and caustic soda
ever again. And the next house would have a softener..

Be VERY careful with gel cleaners on CHROME tho. It dulls the surface
permanentely. So does brick acid. I guess its chrome sulphate.

Abrasives are moderately useless. If a bog brush won't clear it, use a
chisel. Get a cheapo wood chisel with a sharp edge, and go gently.

What I found was thet the clingy gel stuff etched the edges UNDER the
scale, and chunks could be levered out..then more gel or overnight acid
would do the same again. Bit by bit the enemy was pushed back..and
mopped up.