Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] clipper74@googlemail.com is offline

Default potterton boiler ignition

All,

I have a potterton suprima 40 boiler that is starting to suffer
problems igniting. I'm well aware of the PCB problems that these
boilers have, but it has a new and working PCB fitted.

The ignition seems poor just now. There is a windows to see whats
happening inside and the blue spark coming from the ignition
electrode(?) seems very weak. I remember after it's last service how
strong it looked but now it is hardly sparking and is almost too weak
to see. The ignition electrode has been cleaned and on the advice of
some potterton forums it has been bent ever so slightly towards the
burner to reduce the gap.

I'm not sure what I need to replace though if I'm to fix the problem.
Would it be the cable from the PCB or the electrode itself? It is a
white cylinder with an L shaped metal arm and seems to act as a spark
plug. Can these be replaced? How do you do it and what are they
actually called? The bolier is 10 years old and has not had any parts
replaced bar the PCB.

Many thanks.

Steve