Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default slippery ramp

wrote:
I recently purchased a fancy new trailer which has and integral ramp.
The rear door folds down like a garage door to make a ramp. The
problem is that the ramp gets slippery with all the ice and snow
around here. Who has ideas on how to make the ramp less slippery?
Someone said that stick-ons like they use in a bathtub would work. I
don't know how durable that would be. An idea I had is a spray liner
on like they use on a pickup truck. Any other ideas out there?

Lawrence in Minnesota

Everybody so far wants to reinvent the wheel. Go to local industrial
trailer store or farm supply (like for farm/horse trailers), or even a
regular industrial supply, and ask there. They have stuff like the
bathtub stickers on steroids, that won't fall off in a year, and have
enough 'tooth' for your boots or cart tires to get a grip, short of an
actual layer of ice. Stuff I have seen comes in rolls. It ain't cheap,
but quality stuff seldom is. Note that the substrate has to be wax and
grease free before you apply it, and probably wants warm temps as well.
So unless you have a warm garage, you may be SOL till spring. If you
don't like the tape, they also sell actual non-skid matting that could
be glued to ramp in a sheet, but that has the downside of trapping
moisture under it.

aem sends...