Posted to misc.consumers.house
Howard Beale[_2_] Howard Beale[_2_] is offline

Default Additional dishwasher soundproofing

MikeMike wrote:
I've seen posts on this group about adding a little sound proofing to
a dishwasher by installing it on top of a indoor/outdoor carpet
(rubber?) and lining the opening of the cabinet with insulation.

Could anyone suggest specific products for this easily available from
your typical building supplies etc store?

I'm not sure this would do a whole lot, actually. At least in my
experience, the supplied insulation forms a fairly decent "fit" between the
dishwasher and the surrounding cabinets and countertop, so I'm not real
sure how much extra insulation you'd fit in there without creating problems
fitting the dishwasher itself into the opening unless you had a larger
opening than a normal dishwasher opening.

Plus, your surrounding cabinets (at least when closed) act as something of
a baffle/insulation as well, which limits the propagation of sound off the
side.

Where you probably want extra sound insulation is in the door itself, since
that's the part that's open and exposed and where you probably get most of
the noise.