Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default How do you remove the outside of a washing machine.

In article ,
Ron Cliburn wrote:

I have a Kenmore Washing machine that is about 15 years old.
I believe the switch that turns it OFF when the drum is spinning is
broken. The problem is that it washes just fine but will not go into
the drain and rise cycle. The same thing happens when you leave the
door open so I thought maybe the switch is broken.

I removed the screws holding the safety switch and the switch fell
between the drum and the outside of the machine. Someone showed me
how to remove the outer sheet metal of the machine but I don't recall
how. I think they removed 2 screws and flipped the control part
backwards and I'm lost after that.

If you can give me any advice, even telling me where to go (web site
maybe) I would really appreciate it.

Not that is matters or that anyone cares but my problems never come in
ones. If I can't fix it.....Heck, if I can't fix it I have no idea
what I'll do. Wash the clothes in tub I guess.

Thanks for any advice provided.
I will still search the net for helpful web sites incase
I get kill filtered in this group.

RC

I agree with your diagnosis. I have a Kenmore of that vintage and
replaced the lid switch about six months ago. It was a pain, but I did
it without dismantling the machine. You can physically cock the tub to
one side, and wedge it with a small piece of lumber. That will give you
enough room to reach at least part of one hand in there.

It's possible that you could retrieve the fallen switch with a flexible
grabber, a flashlight, and a mirror. It might even be on the floor under
the machine. But you might just leave it there and put in a new switch.

Your other option is to do what I did for a couple of months until I
gathered up the patience to install my new switch -- short the switch
wires together. Take care to do this well and properly, insulate the
splice, and secure the wires so they don't hit the drum.

They don't call it a safety switch for nothing, so if you bypass it,
take note not to open the lid while it's operating.

Installing a new switch is theoretically simple, but it's a struggle to
get the thing mounted, requiring some degree of patience.