Posted to uk.d-i-y
4square 4square is offline

Default Belmont radiator valve O-rings.

On Jan 16, 3:02*pm, ChipMonk wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 04:31:03 -0800 (PST), 4square

wrote:
On these valves, *the seals can be replaced, *by removing the
spindle. * Just checked with Pegler, *£1.34 per O-ring! * I have
several old valves to maintain. *Does anyone know of any similar O-
ring that may work OK? - I don't know the exact size. * *I would not
think the material is that critical, *only water and Fernox in the
system. * Any advice much appreciated, *thank-you.

I share your pain! I have 17 radiators, each with two Pegler/Belmont
valves, each valve requiring 2 O-rings. The system is 35 years old but
in reasonable condition thanks to Fernox. A few years ago I needed to
replace the O-rings, found I could only get them from Pegler and the
price was crazy. I kicked up a stink and got a reasonable reduction in
the price but it was still a rip-off. The problem is complicated by
the fact that some valves have "notched" spindles others don't and
they require different O-rings (red or green). Also the bathroom
radiators on the gravity feed have larger 1/2" valves, notched and
un-notched! If anyone knows of generic O-rings to meet these 4
combinations I'd also be most grateful.

Thanks

ChipMonk

I should add, the chap I spoke to at Pegler this morning did say
there wasn't a lot of difference between red and green, but didn't
say how much! In the shed just now, I applied the trusty Aldi
digital caliper to a new red o-ring I have, and although tricky to
measure soft materials accurately, it seems to be 1/16 inch by half-
inch OD. The material is softer than some ordinary o-rings I got at B
& Q, but some of them are the right size - they are in packets
according to material dia., not OD. I might try to contact a trade
seals supplier, and find out about different materials. My house is
1964, original rads. and valves. I don't like replacing things
unless essential!