Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TCT Core Drills

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
It will do the smaller ones. My 780W Makita will just about cope with
the 110, but you have to take it carefully and make sure you drill a
nice straight core so you don't add to much resistance.

I find it varies enormously with the brick hardness.
Old commons go through quite quickly. Drilling a newer
house with quite hard bricks took ages. I have a 1050W
Metabo and plugged it in through a power meter out of
curiosity. With my full weight leaning in to the drill,
it was using about 750W at top speed in low gear. On
softer bricks, I wouldn't have been able to put such a
force behind it. You need to keep an eye on the drill
temperature and may need to cool the drill (run at full
speed with no load) from time to time.

A friend of mine completely melted his bog standard B&D
drill which wasn't man-enough for the job (when it did
overheat, he didn't know how to cool it). Then he went
and bought a cheap SDS with no clutch, and ended up in
A&E having stiches in his chin after the core jammed
and the drill spun round and whacked him. On another
occasion where the drill couldn't spin round because it
hit an ajacent wall, he ended up with a 90 degree twist
in the arbour.

a Wickes High Torque mains drill, around 85Nm torque - but no clutch, just a
large side handle. Don't fancy using that much :-)

Well 85Nm is going to be the same as about a 20kg weight on the handle
- might be ok if you are expecting it and positioned safely!

(think I would rather have a smooth shank arbour though to allow for
some slip!)

That's not reliable. You really have to have a drill
with a safety clutch for this job.

--
Andrew Gabriel