Posted to rec.woodworking

Default To caulk or not -- base of porch column

On Jan 11, 10:55*am, DJ Delorie wrote:

Might be a good idea to seal the base of the columns with penetrating epoxy or something, too.

That's probably a great idea.

When I have to put posts on ANY surface, I seal the bottom with NP1
(an elastomeric UV resistant sealer/adhesive) swabbed on with my
finger. If I can, I also lift mine up and put a fat bead of the same
stuff all the way around the bottom.

You need elastomeric qualities as the crap wood we buy now for outdoor
use is still as green as a gourd. As the wood schrinks from drying, a
plain acrylic caulk will probably pull away from the adjoining
surfaces and open up a crack.

If your post is sitting squarely on the deck, then put a 1/2" bead all
the way around the base. Leaving one side open will do you no good -
if you want to keep moisture and debris that attracts water out of
your connection point, seal all sides.

When I used to build decks (and now when I build porches) I either
caulk/prime/seal/paint immidiately after construction, or wait a few
months to let the wood open up to create its own cracks for caulking.
No matter what you do, any of your pine (treated or plain YP) will
shrink and move as it dries. Ipe seems pretty stable, but I am
assuming that your columns are pine. Seal 'em up. If you don't, you
will also see relief cracking (usually in an area where they are most
visible) on the post surfaces.

Robert