Robert Swinney

Default Freezing locks

Somebody's been watching too much James Bond......

Yeah! That is about as convenient as the ubiquitous ventilator shaft we see
in every other movie or TV bit. No prison drama would be complete without
the ventilator shaft for the bad guys to crawl to freedom. Also, didcha
ever notice how in the movies there is always a convenient parking space
just outside, or how the phone is answered on the first ring? Or, or --
curtains are always left open so the bad guys can see in, esp. at night.
The hero detective is on duty all hours of the night. Etc, etc, etc .. ad
nauseum. Most directors would be out of their jobs if it were not for these
entertainment "clichés".

Bob Swinney

"Jeff Sellers" wrote in message

"Kamus of Kadizhar" wrote in message
news
I've got a purely hypothetical question:

ISTR that at one time, freezing locks with Freon was a popular way to
break them. The theory being that you freeze the lock mechanism or
shackle until it becomes brittle, then use a hardened hammer to smash

it.

Now I'm being told that's an urban myth.

I come here seeking expertise on frozen metal - is it practical /

possible
to freeze steel to where it becomes brittle using a can of Freon? The
technique was to use Freon under pressure, then "spray" it on the lock.
The Freon cools as it expands, freezing the metal.

--Kamus