Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default Installing foil backed insullation board.

On Dec 27, 10:13 pm, sid wrote:
On Dec 27, 11:59 am, "JohnnyC" wrote:

when I was doing my basement, this group was very helpful. They pointed me
to the Building Sciences Corp site for information on basement insulation
systems.

All your questions will be answered in their literature. I found it to be a
great resource.

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...3-understandin...

Ok, I read it and if I understood it correctly. You should never
attempt to trap moisture, and foam board with-out foil or plastic
backing should be used in the basement. Right ?

It even stated that insulation between the studs without a paper face
should be used.

Thanks

Sid.

I would go with the extruded polystyrene (Dow Blue or Owens Corning
foamular). The foil faced insulation is polyisocyanurate which can
soak up water--a bad thing on a basement wall. If you have room, I
would go with 2".