wmbjk

Default Buyer beware! Smithy Company. Midas 1720

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:35:25 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I certainly wouldn't blame you for deciding never to buy from them
again, but denigrating the company on this newsgroup isn't really going
to accomplish much other that letting you blow off some steam.

Disagree. Assuming the details are correct, his post offers a heads-up
to others. We now know that the company sells models they don't check
out very well, and makes satisfaction promises they won't honor.
Half-off a new machine after three years might have been a bit much to
hope for, but the company's opinion that free shipping on a new
machine represented meaningful compensation is... at the very least
worth knowing about.

I got a laugh out of the quoted ad - "Smithy's are the highest-quality
multi-use benchtop machine tools in the world." "Smithy
Lathe-Mill-Drill machines offer the professional-quality precision and
performance of three machines in one." "When we say theses machines
are versatile, we mean it!" "You get the best machine: finest quality
and high accuracy." "These machines are what we do and we will take
care of you. You have our promise."

Contrast that with one of HF's silver-tongued claims about a similar
(but much cheaper) machine - "Every plumber needs one of these". :-)

Wayne