Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default installing tile backsplash, where to start

On Dec 23, 3:23*pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

On Dec 22, 7:20 pm, mike wrote:

On Dec 22, 4:39 am, Mikepier wrote:

I'm ready to install 4x4 tile for my backsplash in the kitchen. It is
approx 11 feet wall to wall, 18" high, and has a stove on the same
wall. My question is where would be the best place to start? I'm
thinking find the midpoint of the wall, then test out the tile to see
if I end up with equal cuts on each end and adjust if necessary,
right?
Also, I wanted to start with full tiles on the bottom granite
countertop, and butt them up against the bottom of the wall cabinets,
whether they end up as full tiles or not does not matter since you
can't really notice them. Is this right?
And I'm assuming i run the full 18" tile behind the stove, right?

Are you sure you want a tile backsplash? I know a lot of people do it
to save money over having the same granite/quartz material as the
counter, but you'd be suprised at how wet the backsplash around the
sink can get. Having standing water on the grout may cause you to
regret installing a tile backsplash.

Yeah, I thought about it, but I already spent a lot on the
countertops, also I got a good deal on the tiles.
*Wouldn't the stove stick out 1 1/4" also if I used granite behind the
stove?\

Yes that's why the Granite Splash *doesn't go behind the stove- Hide quoted text -

So what goes behind the stove? Tile, laminate?