Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mail@atics.co.uk is offline

Default White mould on treated timber

On 23 Dec, 20:42, " wrote:
On 23 Dec, 19:30, "Brian G" wrote:

wrote:
We have a cellar that holds water in our 180yr old house. I've
recently had to replace the bottom 3 stairs and the pantry floor
because the timber had rotted due to the water vapour when the cellar
fills up with water(approx 3 inch of water). Cellar is 7 foot deep and
until recently had no air bricks at all and the timber that rotted had
no doubt been there years so it lasted quite long.

I have installed 2 air bricks and replaced the floor and stairs with
treated(tanalised) timber. I used bitumen paint on the ends of the
timber where they came in contact with the damp masonry. This was
maybe 3 months ago and today I went down in the cellar and was rather
shocked to see that the areas of the timber that had bitumen on are
dripping with water and also there is white mould on certain parts on
the timbers?

If the walls/air are as wet as you say then you can expect water to appear
on the bitumen - the vapour will turn to water as it hits the colder
surface.

if possible, can you take photographs of the problem and upload them towww.tinypics.comandthen post the relevant links here?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ad8...c=7x3419w&s=1- Hide quoted text -

Mark
Picy 2 looks like a mould as you say
It does not have the characteristics of a wood-destroying fungus but
it is impossible to be categorical as it could be the very early
stages of inception
I think it most unlikely in that environment
I will check with a colleague who works more with moulds as to what it
might be but the clue is that if it is forming on bitumenised timber
it is likely to be mould from condensation and not a w-destroying
fungus
See earlier advice from me for fixing it

Best wishes