Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default dado rail on stairs

"Peter" wrote

I'm trying to run a dado rail on a wall going up a set of stairs and
then along a landing.

I can't work out how to cut the joint where the horizontal (landing)
run meets the stair wall run. Am I right in my guess that you set the
internal angle on a sliding bevel, measure it with a protractor, and
then halve it to get the right saw cut on both pieces?

They're in the same plane ie not turning a corner...

Mark the rail location on the wall.
Stick two bits of card of rail-width on the wall so they cross at the
appropriate point.
Measure the angle between the card templates and bisect it.
Draw a line across the overlapped cards at this bisection angle.
Cut through both pieces of card with a sharp knife.
These ends will match the required angle of the dado rail.

Probably take less time to do than it did to write this

HTH

Phil