Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Broken antenna on RC car

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"JANA" wrote in message

Antennas are tuned. Go to where you bought your
remote car and see if they can supply an original part.

Forgive me, but I find a lot of your postings misleading or non-factual.

Antennas are not, generally, "tuned". If tuning is required, it's usually
performed with a loading coil in the body of the transmitter. The only
consumer product I've ever seen with a loading coil in the antenna itself
was a Concord CB transceiver of 40 years ago. (The intent was to improve
radiation by moving the coild to the middle of the antenna.)

If the antenna is the correct length, it will radiate efficiently. You don't
need an OEM antenna.

You both are 'sort of' right, it would seem to me. Of course there are
inductors in consumer electronics. Whether you call them loading coils
or something else, in every transmitter I've encountered, there was an
inductor in the signal output path which tuned the original length of
antenna to approximate the expected load of the antenna.

That said, getting the correct length antenna (or a longer telescoping
one, but not fully extending it) is a pretty trivial matter...as long as
that length can be determined.

jak