Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Sharp microwave arcs *through* front door

James Sweet wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Chris wrote:

I've got a ~2 year old microwave that has shown no previous signs of
trouble and is to all appearances in good working order. During
normal operation (melting butter on low power)

That isn't a suitable load for a microwave is it ? You need some water in
there.

No surprise it arced.

Even an empty microwave should never arc to the outside,

I agree it shouldn't have arced to the *outside*.

I've never, ever seen that before, and I too have used microwaves to melt
butter hundreds of
times over the decades.

Ok. I have heard of other stories where people have done things with their
microwave ovens the makers don't recommend and been puzzled why it broke after
say the hundredth time though.

Graham