Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tyler Tyler is offline

Default Replacing an Old Mira Shower

On 9 Dec, 11:42, (A.Lee) wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Can anyone help here.
My house is around 20 years old. I have a Mira 88 shower installed
which is tiled over - that I assume came with the house - I bought the
house 5 years ago. The shower, I believe, is a manual.
The shower has stopped working altogether. I've been told to get 'the
same shower unit' by a plumber and when I search Google they have the
newer Mira 88 Gem. Would this model be the same design as my Mira 88
(which I assume is from the mid 1980s)?
Also, how much would/ should it cost to replace this shower unit
(remembering it is tiled over)? I've just had a new combination boiler
put in with radiators - should I switch to another shower altogether.

I changed an old shower mixer 2 weeks ago, and it was a real PITA.
You dont say how yours is fitted - are the feed pipes showing, or is it
all enclosed in the wall?
From the diagram hehttp://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-sp...ra/mira-88.htm

It looks like yours is a semi-enclosed type, where the feed pipes are
enclosed behind the wall, with the mixer fully in view.
Is that correct?
If so, then you need to measure the centre line between the feed pipes.
150mm is fairly standard, and then you can buy another similar one with
the same size feed pipe centres.
If that is right, then it shouldnt be too much of a problem fitting a
new one. Screwfix do a mixer at £50, and there are loads on ebay at less
than £50 - half price compared to shops, the one I fitted cost me £80,
yet the same was on ebay at £22.50 delivered.
Post a pic of your current set up, including close ups of the fittings,
and a better idea can be given of what you require.
Alan.

Thank you - I shall post a pic when I can. Yes I think the mixer is
fully in view - at least a large circular ring which is turned. I'm
not much the DIY type and have the plumber back in tomorrow.