Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Replacing an Old Mira Shower

"Tyler" wrote in message
Hi all,
Can anyone help here.
My house is around 20 years old. I have a Mira 88 shower installed
which is tiled over - that I assume came with the house - I bought the
house 5 years ago. The shower, I believe, is a manual.
The shower has stopped working altogether. I've been told to get 'the
same shower unit' by a plumber and when I search Google they have the
newer Mira 88 Gem. Would this model be the same design as my Mira 88
(which I assume is from the mid 1980s)?
Also, how much would/ should it cost to replace this shower unit
(remembering it is tiled over)? I've just had a new combination boiler
put in with radiators - should I switch to another shower altogether.

Please note I am very new to showers and plumbing and would appreciate
if jargon and terminology is kept to a minimum.
Thank you v much for your response - this ng really is a lifesaver!

TH

Parts are available:

http://www.shower-spares.co.uk/mira/mira88_diagram.htm

I have a Mira 415 and I also fitted one at another house. I believe the 415
is recommended for use with Combi boilers - but I guess there are others.

If it is embedded in the wall then you need to consider the spacing of the
pipes and the depth of the pipes relative to the surface of the tiles.