Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Electric Motor Speed Control

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:34:21 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Dec 3, 7:16 pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"---MIKE---" wrote in message

You can't change the speed of an AC motor. The speed is governed by the
60 cycle current.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

While the speed is determined by the frequency , it is easy to change the
speed. Just use an inverter such as:

http://www.emservicenter.com/Yaskawa.cfm

Where I work we have 100's of them. They range from fractional horse power
to over 100 HP motors.

For small motors , it may cost as much or more than the motor.

For a table fan I use an x10 controler and do it remotely, I dont know
what type of motor the fan is but X10 might have something, but 1hp
draws alot of current

Most X10 modules do have limits on motor loads (as well as
incandescent lights), but outlet modules are often rated 15A
unconditional. If you don't want this installed in a wall, you can use
an electrical box with a cord. I'm currently doing that for holiday
lights (I use 4, on 4 different circuits).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin