Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim[_2_] Speedy Jim[_2_] is offline

Default Lights dim, brighten & appliances slow

wrote:
Here in the last week and a half we have been having strange things
going on with our electricity. The lights dim and flicker. When we
try to turn on the microwave the lights will dim (& sometimes brighten
instead) and the microwave power drops low. When we use the vaccum
the lights will brighten.

SNIP

Almost certainly an Open Neutral.

Depending on which circuits are affected (or all of them),
the open could be in the service drop, in the entrance panel,
or even in a sub-panel, or in a splice in some junction box
(in the case of only a few circuits affected).

The guy who suggested it may require "digging into"
was probably right.

Jim