Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default mounting a boiler onto a Breeze block wall

On 30 Nov, 17:29, wrote:
Tony says: "If they are breeze block and not the soft Durox blocks you
should be Ok"

Just to clearify. The blocks in question are areated...I can't think
of anything weaker than this stuff.
I've bought them from a local B&Q store....
Maybe I'll have to check my terminology better next time, but I think
my concerns were justified.

I always worry about aircrete blocks, but other folks on this group
tell me not to worry. But I am *still* not convinced ;-) I wanted to
use something else on my extension plans, but the walls would have had
to be much thicker thus losing interior space, and the BCO hates "non-
standard" designs.
I will have to mount a boiler near the top of such a wall. I will
probably mount a large piece of 18mm ply (or thick cement board if
heat issues) with lots of long fixings and mount through this and into
the wall behind. Or mount an comprehensive angle-iron frame and fix
the boiler to that. This would give some lateral support to the wall.
It will be in some time of cupboard arrangement, so I may not
plasterboard the back of this.
It's all very well to say most of the weight is down, but when someone
slips and grabs the thing ...
Good luck,
Simon.