Posted to rec.woodworking
dabears525 dabears525 is offline

Default Dust Collector Hose for Delta Miter Saw?

I built a shroud around my 12" Hitachi miter saw and used a 4" dust
collection port.
While the enclosure helped to contain the chips and dust from cutting, it
really did not help
with picking up the cutting debris. While it gets some of it and contains
the rest, the majority
just settles on the bottom of the enclosure. I feel that his is due to the
lack of vacuum to pull
from such a large area. However, the shroud is a MAJOR improvement over
having the
clean up after every time using the saw. These miter saws spray chips and
dust everywhere!

I am think of following the others suggestions of hooking a shop vac to the
port on the saw.

Hope it works for you,

Ron

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Unfortunately, I've already run into my first hurdle. I have a 10"
Delta miter saw, and I've measured the port as 1-1/2" ID.
Ideally, I'd like to run a short length of 1-1/2" hose (if I could
find it) from the saw up to the wall, then adapt to the 4" main duct.

The small ports are meant for shopvacs, not dust collectors. That
small of a hose will choke a dust collector down to the point where
doesn't work very well.

I was initially thinking a hybrid approach, a small hose connected to the
port on the saw, Wye'd in to a full size port near the back of the saw for
any dust that escaped.

However, now that I think about it, if I built a shroud of some type
around
the back of the saw, I could probably just angle the little "Ell" port on
the saw towards the shroud. In theory, it should blow the dust back right
into the DC hose. Hmm... Something to look into.

Like I said, I just received the DC and am like a kid in a candy store
trying to figure out how to connect everything up. Most of my tools are
mobile, so I have to keep that in mind also.

I'll probably run my duct up in the corner near the ceiling, and thought I
would drill a hole in the overhead cabinets to pass the duct. Then I wised
up and realized I could just move the cabinet over a few inches and make a
filler to bridge the gap between cabinets. The duct would then drop down
between the cabinets. Good reason to examine my options before I start
cutting holes everywhere...

On a related note, my DC can be rewired for 240V if I wish. Since I plan
install an outlet dedicated to the DC, what advantages would running off
of
240V provide compared to running off 120V? Lower amperage, but wouldn't
the
overall wattage be the same? I guess I don't understand the advantages.

Anthony