Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Machinist's Dye?

Sat, Nov 24, 2007, 10:02am (EST-3) (Ron*Hock)
first did scribe:;
spaco wrote:
snip I have often wondered why one couldn't just get a tube of
prussian blue oil paint, instead.
Then did also scribe::
snip And yes, artist's oil Prussian blue is not only usable for
high-spot marking but is often preferred by machinists claiming that
some brands have more pigment.

My old man was a tool maker. I never heard him mention "anything"
besides Prussian Blue for laying out, etc. Apparently it was the
standard back then. Probably cheap, available, and worked. I'd been
wonddering if anyone was gonna mention it. I'm with you tho, I think
markers are the way to go - they're even available in the corner grocery
store, in various colors, tip styles, mark on about anything, are
inexpensive, and work.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you
"know"?.
- Granny Weatherwax