Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Southerwood Tim Southerwood is offline

Default TRV stuck

geoff coughed up some electrons that declared:

In message , Tim Southerwood
writes
Fred coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi,

I've got a radiator that is not warming up and I think the TRV is
stuck. I know this happens now and again. If you take the top off,
there is a pin. I can't remember, do I push it in or pull it out to
release it?

Would a little 3-in-1 or WD40 on it prevent this happening again?

Thanks.

Just dealt with two such stuck valves. Take the head off (the dry bit
only), then see if you and push the pin in (not too hard mind).

If not, try a sharp tap with a light metal tool, eg pliers or pin hammer.
You are looking to invoke a small shock to crack the stuck valve open, not
to hit it so hard you damage it, or upset the compression/screw fittings.

NO

Place a flat object (spanner head or something) on the pin and hit that

That way, you don't damage the pin

I should been clearer: tap the side of the body of the valve, not the pin.
2 or 3 sharp light taps are often all it takes.

Yeah, hitting the pin with a hammer will bugger it up.