Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Window that you can see out but not see in

MiamiCuse wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

On Nov 21, 6:32 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have seen in some hotels that they have windows facing a
corridor, hallway
or outside. You can see out but cannot see in. It is more than
just "tinting".

I am looking to replace a few of my windows at home, and I asked
for quotes
for non-impact windows and impact windows. I also asked the
window companies if they have windows that can see out but not
in, they all said to
me "no not for residential it's only for commercial" and when I
asked them
to give me a ball park figure they wouldn't even do that and just
said "trust me, it's VERY expensive".

What is so special about those windows? Is it a special glass?
or is it something you can "apply" onto ordinary glass
afterwards? Are we talking about 10 times more expensive? I
have a large picture window inside the shower facing an interior
courtyard, right now I am planning on using hurricane impact
obscured glass window, I thought I ought to consider this
other option but I can't even get a price!

MC

In most cases, the "one-way" glass depends on the obscured side to
be darker than the viewers side. It will reverse just by
reversing the lighting. If you want it, you can have it tinted by
the same places that tint auto glass.

Our control room in the jail had the film application method.
Worked great until you turned the lighting up in the control room,
then it was as if there were no film at all.

Harry K

So it's a matter of tinting? I thought it's more than that, some
sort of polarized glass? If it's just a matter of tinting I wonder
why they wouldn't even quote me.

Possibly because most is half silvered mirrors? Like a beam splitter.
That would be expensive and it too would depend on differential
lighting inside/outside. It would have to be in a sealed double pane
window as the half silvered surface is quite fragile.

Polarization has nothing to do with it.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...