Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm H Malcolm H is offline

Default Gas boiler maintenance - how often?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Malcolm H" writes:
Very interesting! Can you recommend a CO/CO2 ratio tester suitable for
domestic use?

I use a Kane 250. You have to do the ratio calculation yourself.
(I believe the Kane 400 does it for you).

For just looking after your own boiler, buying a flue gas analyser
isn't going to be worth it -- they're too expensive. Also bare in
mind that you'll have to spend about £200 every 2 years to keep
it working and calibrated.

You can hire them.

Actually, just to add to my earlier post, I also look after a
condensing boiler -- a Keston Celcius 25. This does need more
attention than the non-condensing boilers. This falls into 2
categories: extra complexity such as a condensate drain to
become blocked or a flue pipe which isn't waterproof, and
newer technology teething problems, such as melting ignition
electrodes. I think there's much less chance you could run a
condensing boiler problem-free for 10 years without servicing.
Also its CO2 levels drift more between servicing than conventional
boilers, although I somehow doubt many CORGI service engineers
would go to the same lengths I do to adjust that for optimal
operation.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thank you Andrew. As you say a bit expensive!

Do you think a simple dismantle and clean every 7 years or so should be
sufficient for a Potterton Suprima?