Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default How many bags of Portland Cement for a CU Yard?

In article , wrote:
How many bags of Portland Cement for a CU Yard?
They are 90lb bags. From what I recall, it was 3 bags per cu yard.
Yet I got this guy at the local lumberyard who insists I need 5 bags
per... Sounds to me he is trying to make more money...

I am referring to a standard mix of 1 part portland, 2 parts sand and
3 parts stone.

Premix aggregate yields 2/3 cubic FOOT of concrete per 90# bag.
That's 27 / (2/3) = 40.5 bags of aggregate per cubic yard.

So if you're making your own mix, with the cement being 1 part in 6, you'd
need 40.5 / 6 = just under 7 bags.

--
Regards,