Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Homebrew underground wire break locator.

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

We suspect that a splice was made in the wire
Can anyone offer any good ideas for a way to locate the break

If the open is "clean", that is, NOT grounded or crossed, you can determine
the distance-to-open from either direction and use that information to
determine where to dig. Of course, such testing generally requires the use of
a TDR (time domain reflectometer), not something found in the average DIYer's
toolkit.

If the open is "dirty" (grounded), the use of a ground fault locator is in
order. Of course, that is also something not found in the average DIYer's bag.

I expect that neither of these testers is available at even the more
widely-stocked rental place. Even if they were, successfully using such
sophisticated test equipment is probably beyond the capability of a
first/only-time user.

You would well to consider REPLACING the line.

Any effort made and expense incurred in repairing the existing line, if
directed instead at replacing the line, would effectively reduce the cost of
replacement. ...and that is IF you are successful in repairing the old line -
certainly not a "given". Good luck.
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes