Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default rusty toilet tank bolts

" wrote in message
news:79yXi.2425$b%1.1012@trnddc01...
In one of the toilet tanks in my house, the heads of the bolts in the tank
look all rusty and deformed. They looked that way 3 years ago when I
moved in here, and haven't leaked yet.

Since nothing is leaking, I'm just wondering if I need to address this, or
should I leave well enough alone. Since my female friend moved out,
nobody is using the toilet on a regular basis.

FYI: This toilet is a Gerber. Replacement of the tank bolts looks like it
would involve removing the entire tank, because there are hex nuts
attached to the bolts at the bottom of the tank. The nut is between the
bottom of the tank and bowl. At the very tail end of the bolts are wing
nuts. In other words, it looks like, to access the hex nut, this would
involve unscrewing the wing nuts and lifting the entire tank, unless there
are tools thin enough to reach the hex nut. Do any such tools exist? The
gap is very small. Another issue is that the heads of the bolts appear to
be so deformed that there isn't any slot remaining to stick a screwdriver.
Should I leave well enough alone if it's not leaking?

Thanks,

J.

Exactly. Most will corrode, so the trick is when you put new to tighten
correctly and then leave them alone until they leak, or another component
goes out and you want to do a whole rebuild.

And on that point, when my mechanisms go out, I just do the whole rebuild
kit instead of a part here this week and a different part next week. I've
done so many of them, I can do them in the dark.

Steve