Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default rusty toilet tank bolts

On Nov 5, 4:19 am, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 06:55:42 +0000 (UTC), blessed style

wrote:

" wrote:

(...)
Should I leave well enough alone if it's not leaking?

Yep.

Or drain the tank, sponge as dry as you can and let it air dry till
it's completely dry. Then coat the heads and a little of the
surrounding tank with silicone. That way they wont rust further.

Suggestion. Leave it alone for the moment. But eventually the bolts
may rust further and you may get drips/leaks. Have a bowl or can
ready! When it does turn off water to the toilet tank.
The bolt heads probably sit on rubber washers inside the tank, which
may also deteriorate.
Be ready when it does come time to replace, with some stainless bolts
of right length (or even a bit longer if they will fit) four or six
new rubber washers, stainless steel washers etc. You can use nuts or
wing nuts underneath to tighten, but DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN and crack the
porcelain! Just snug down gently so toilet tank does not wobble or
shift around.
One one occasion we had to work at removing a very rusty bolt; why
don't they supply brass or stainless?
A combination of pecking away at the bolt with a hacksaw blade (not
much space) and then breaking off the remainder of the bolt without
damaging the porcelain took about half an hour! With ones head at
height of the toilet bowl! Patience is a virtue. With us maintenance
is critical cos we only have one toilet. Good luck.
Silicon caulking may also help but sounds more like a temporary fix?