Posted to alt.home.repair
enigma845 enigma845 is offline

Default Glueing a broken plastic refrigerator shelf

Jim Yanik wrote:
My wife put 2 cartons of milk on the same shelf and that proved to be
too much weight for it and both back corners snapped off in almost

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
all the parts together. It's been a few years without failure.
MLD

Regarding Gorilla glue, I use it for everything. It is the best glue ever. The secret is usng Just enough. The popsicle sticks are a neat trick. When I can, I use string or cording. Iie the ends of the string together when wet. (It will be stromger when dryas it shrinks.) Make a tight knot. Wrap the string around item that needs to be clamped(for gluing). Then take a stick/pencil/dowel, loop string around such then start twisting the stick/pencil dowel until tight. Then tape stick, etc. solid or secure pencil/stick on itself or wedge it so it remains tight. It works wonders and is cheaper than clamps.

I had a plastic clamp for a clip-on fan break,and I used epoxy and popsicle
sticks to reinforce it;you have to let the epoxy cure for a week or two
before putting it under stress,to get it's full strength.
The clamp has a very strong spring,and it's held up for about two years
now. I used RAKA boat building epoxy and fumed silica thickener. I tried J-
B Weld before that,but it didn't hold up very long.It seems to be a softer
epoxy. System Three or West System epoxy would do just as well as the RAKA.

The popsicle sticks are stiff and give more strength than a paper clip
will,and epoxy bonds to it better.

Polyurethane glues are crap.(Gorilla Glue)They also foam up,expand and make
a mess.For wood,I guess they are OK.

--
Betty Boop