Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Powering cordless drill motor with DC transformer

"eljainc" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,

Does anybody know what size power supply I might need for a typical
cordless drill motor?
For example, I wish to power a 19.2VDC motor from black and decker/
Ryobi drill. Could I get by with a 18VDC supply? What amperage would
I be looking at? I think most of those battery packs are 2.4Amps. If
I put a 4 amp supply would that be sufficient or would that overpower
the motor?
I called DeWalt and the technical support person wouldn't tell me (I
think for liability reasons). He said that people have tried to use a
car battery to power a dewalt drill and something exploded or went
haywire on them.

Mike

The batteries are rated in Amp/Hours, that is *not* the same as Amps. A
2.4A/hr battery pack can supply tens of amps for short periods of time, and
under heavy load many drill motors will draw in that range. A power supply
to run that will cost more than a plug-in drill, however a car battery or
gel cell will work just fine if you hook it up right.