Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Neat way of drilling centre holes in round bar....(non ranty political)

On Oct 19, 9:22 am, wrote:
Had a fill in teacher at school last week, showed me a quick and easy
way of drilling a hole through the centre of a piece of round stock,
using a drill press and an ordinary drill press (ie, non precision)
vise....
1.Centre punch the bar on the plane where you want to drill.
2. Clamp job in vise, preferably at 90 degrees to drill plane....(use
a parralel(sp?) if you want to be fussy, I did it by eye and it was
pretty close)
2. then, with a drill bit the same size as the bar, in the drill press
chuck, position the vise so it is centered round the drill bit. Clamp
vise down with G-clamp. Do this as close as possible to end of job.
3. Swing the table around till the proposed hole centre is under a
small pilot drill (I used 1mm, as the final hole was 2mm, and 1mm was
the smallest available without hassling the storeman)- how come
storeman are universally grumpy buggers?
4. Drill the hole - voila, it will be dead centre. Swap out bits to
final size, go for it.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Yes, I know there are a lot more precise ways of doing this, but it
was only a tommy bar for a clamp screw, so was pretty good -
especially compared to previous efforts. Was for the clamp for a V-
block I had made as part of me Fitting and Machining
course....something practical to use at home, while getting a good
intro to basic milling and surface grinding....

Essentailly the same as putting the work into the chuck, clamping the
vice, releasing the work, and lowering the table?

Dave