Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Shellac tinting

On Oct 11, 3:52 pm, alexy wrote:
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Only if you find one soluble in alcohol. AFAIK, none are.

Sure there are. The alcohol dyes are old school and have been around
forever.
http://tinyurl.com/3yealw
And the manufacturer's homepage: http://www.wdlockwood.com/main.html

Be aware that the alcohol dyes aren't as light-fast as the water
soluble dyes. It's a good idea to use a finish that has UV protection
so you won't have fading even if it is indoors.

I have to thank you, if I wasn't searching for Lockwood to answer the
question, I wouldn't have found this place: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com
It's not that far from me, so I'll have to make a visit.