Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Cost of small breeeze block wall?

robgraham wrote:
On 9 Oct, 22:14, (A.Lee) wrote:
I've been asked to quote for a fencing job, but against my views the
customer has opted for a breeze block 'extension' to his present breeze
block wall.
The current wall is approx 5 feet high, they want it higher.
I suggested a solid trellis type panel at the top, which would look
alright. That got a 'no', as it wouldnt be secure enough.
Ok, go for a 7 foot high wooden fence in front of the existing breeze
block wall,again, a no, as it wouldnt be 'secure enough'

So, they want 2 extra rows added to the existing BB wall. How that is
more secure than a wooden fence, I dont know - I'd think it was easier
to grab the top of a wall to climb up it.

Probably 10 breeze blocks for each row (15' wide), so 20 blocks to be
bought.Never having laid more than 1 bricks/blocks in one go, I reckon
this will take me near on 4 hours to lay them.
Around £8 of cement, and £15 of sand making a materials cost of roughly
£50.

What would be a reasonable price to charge?
My first thought was £150 - does that sound reasonable to put up 2 rows
of BB on a 15' wall?

For a start it would be useful if you could make it clear that these
are 'dense concrete blocks'. Breeze blocks are the light weight blocks
used only for internal walls in houses. It is clear from googling on
'breeze blocks' that dense concrete blocks are what you are referring
to.

I would be concerned at lifting each block weighing 20kg up 1.5m+
without suitable platforming and assistance. Remember that 20kg is 45
lbs - are you that much of a body builder that you can lift half a ton
of concrete 5 feet up in 4 hours. Then add in the mortar and the
mixing of it.

What is this wall going to stand on? There's been no mention of any sort
of footings for it, and it sounds pretty substantial...

David