Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate Kate is offline

Default Repair of door threshold

Ken wrote:

Kate wrote:

I hope I am explaining this properly.

My front door has a metal plate installed underneath the door, that
is mounted to the floor. I call it the threshold, and I hope that is
the proper term for it. Anyway, last year I mixed some powdered
concrete mix, and pushed it in underneath the threshold.

Now the cement is cracking, and I removed it in hopes of putting
something else besides concrete underneath the threshold plate. This
is the plate everyone walks on when entering my home.

Does anyone have some ideas for me?

Many thanks.

Kate

First, are you trying to secure the threshold with the concrete,
or just fill in the gap?

If you are trying to secure the threshold, that method is not very
good. I have found that drilling a hole into the concrete floor (if
that is the situation) with a masonry bit and filling that hole with
wooden dowel rod is the best way. Cut off the dowel rod flush with
the floor and drill a hole for the screws used to secure the threshold
into it. The dowel rod will expand outward once the screws are
installed holding down the threshold.

If your problem is filling a gap and not one of securing the
threshold, I found cutting wood the size of the threshold to fill the
gap is very effective. Plywood comes in various sizes and often
solves the problem.

Yes, I just want to fill the gap. The wood idea is excellent. If done
right, I should never have to deal with it again, or at least years down
the road.

Many, many thanks.

Kate