Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate Kate is offline

Default Repair of door threshold

RicodJour wrote:

On Oct 9, 12:40 am, Kate wrote:

I hope I am explaining this properly.

My front door has a metal plate installed underneath the door, that is
mounted to the floor. I call it the threshold, and I hope that is the
proper term for it. Anyway, last year I mixed some powdered concrete
mix, and pushed it in underneath the threshold.

What were you trying to accomplish? Was the old one loose,
flexing...?

Now the cement is cracking, and I removed it in hopes of putting
something else besides concrete underneath the threshold plate. This is
the plate everyone walks on when entering my home.

The concrete shouldn't have cracked if it was mixed and placed
properly. Is it possible you're talking about mortar mix or just
plain cement? Mortar mix is cement plus sand and concrete has cement
and fine and coarse aggregate (sand and rocks/pebbles). Cement has
one ingredient: cement - no sand and no aggregate. If you used
straight cement it's no surprised it cracked. The aggregate is what
gives concrete its strength.

Let's analyze what you did before offering up a solution. How big is
the space you're trying to fill? It sounds like you didn't remove the
threshold before placing the mix - any reason why?

About a year ago, I replaced the concrete underneath the door threshold
as it was cracking, and every time I swept around the front door, I
would get more pieces of loose concrete.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I used concrete, not mortar mix.
The area is the length of the door, and very thin underneath the threshold.

From what I can see, the threshold cannot be removed unless I remove
the door frame. I personally don't know how to do that, but I can get
someone to do it for me.

Thanks.

Kate