Posted to rec.woodworking
dicko dicko is offline

Default ==1 Painting celotex

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:36:25 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:43 am, "William Andersen" wrote:
Any ideas on how to paint celotex?
The shop I've inherited (on the corner of our lot) was finished
with celotex. I've tried painting it, but it is really absorbent.
Also, where there had been water leaks from the ceiling, the
celotex is discolored, and paint doesn't cover the stains.
My intent is to paint it white to brighten up the shop. I've been
using a brush and roller, and I'm considering spraying paint in
the future.

You mean the Celotex insulation?

I think he has a material that was used in the 40s and 50s that was
made from plant residue. In Hawaii (where I was) they used bagasse
which is what's left of sugar cane after being de-juiced. Might have
been spelled "cellutex".

It came in 4x8 foot sheets like drywall and was used a lot for
ceilings. Had a slightly rough surface, very light. I've also seen
it for walls in sheets that had a phony shiplap appearance.

No idea about how flamable it was but I'm guessing it had some sort of
fire retardant incorporated into it.

I have an attached garage with my shop in it. The wall between the
house and the garage is sheathed in 1/2" thick Celotex. Its really
light weight crappy stuff. Holes have been punched in it throughout.
Mice have gotten into the wall and tunneled through the insulation. I
wouldnt recommend it to anyone. But its been painted a very cheery
yellow ever since before I've owned the house for 10 years. So it is
possible to paint it.

BTW, nowadays code requires 5/8" firestop drywall so this past summer
I ripped it all off the wall, did a bit of electrical work in the
wall, and put up drywall. Looks much nicer without the yellow.

-dickm