Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Painting celotex

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:43 am, "William Andersen" wrote:
Any ideas on how to paint celotex?
The shop I've inherited (on the corner of our lot) was finished
with celotex. I've tried painting it, but it is really absorbent.
Also, where there had been water leaks from the ceiling, the
celotex is discolored, and paint doesn't cover the stains.
My intent is to paint it white to brighten up the shop. I've been
using a brush and roller, and I'm considering spraying paint in
the future.

You mean the Celotex insulation?

I think he has a material that was used in the 40s and 50s that was
made from plant residue. In Hawaii (where I was) they used bagasse
which is what's left of sugar cane after being de-juiced. Might have
been spelled "cellutex".

It came in 4x8 foot sheets like drywall and was used a lot for
ceilings. Had a slightly rough surface, very light. I've also seen
it for walls in sheets that had a phony shiplap appearance.

No idea about how flamable it was but I'm guessing it had some sort of
fire retardant incorporated into it.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...