rob w

Default How to fit lead flashing into brickwork?

"Cubik" wrote in message ...
This is hopefully a simple one

I may have to replace some woodwork over a window which has lead flashing
folded over it at the top

The lead flashing is set into the mortar between courses of bricks and folds
down by around 3" vertically over the wood.

So my question is :-

How is the flashing usually fitted between the bricks? I'm assuming it is
inserted where the mortar joint would be by a couple of inches and fixed in
place using some kind of adhesive/sealant - Is this correct.

I'm planning on removing the old stuff and then angle grinding the joint to
open it up to fit new - Would this be a typical way of doing it?

Any advice on this or recommended materials would be appreciated.

Thanks

The normal way to hold the lead into the groove in the morter is to
make some small wedges from the offcuts of the lead and use these to
pin the lead in to the brick work. Just use the wegdes on the
underside of the lead and them fold the lead over and it hides the
wedges.I have heard that you can get some sort of glue ( lead mate?)
but ive always used the method above
I found that using a plugging chisel is just as quick as an angle
grinder and much less mess.
Another tip is use platination oil on the lead as this prevents the
lead discolouring and staining the brick work / window.
hope this helps
Rob