Posted to uk.d-i-y
STephen STephen is offline

Default Stair problem - Gap between tread and riser

The stairs dont squeak at all. They are fixed securely in the stringer and
the gap between tread and stair is only on the right hand side.

However there is a certain amount of flex in the board especially in the
middle.

I inserted a screw down from the tread into the riser hoping that it would
either pull up the riser or make things a bit more firm. It didnt pull up
the riser at all but seems to have provided some stability at the right hand
side.

I was going to see if I could have some wooden wedges made up to fill the
gap so that the board doesnt flex at all but I'm worried that all i'm doing
is providing a temporary fix and what I really need to do is fix it
properly, even if it means pulling down the plaster that covers the
underneath of the stairs.

I take it you think I should go for the permanent fix.

"Newshound" wrote in message
It does seem an awful lot of movement, I think I'd expect it to make the
stairs squeaky if not flexy. I'd be inclined to explore and try and fix it
properly.