Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble[_2_] Rumble[_2_] is offline

Default How much power does my thermostat use?

Martin Pentreath wrote:

snip

Back of a fag packet calcs suggest about £1.50 in electricity for the
closed season, so an FCU would pay for itself in about 3 years.

This is based on an assumption that it uses 4 watts of power for six
months I think. Might it not use more?

Something like that (I think I used 5W for 5 months). On balance
though, I think 5W is very pessimistic for the radio receiver. With the
radio receiver in standby, it could be using as little as 25mW, so
assuming that the power supply is 50% efficient the unit would be
pulling 50mW - and in this mode would run for about 2 years on a unit of
electricity.