Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble[_2_] Rumble[_2_] is offline

Default How much power does my thermostat use?

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Hi,

As winter seems to be arriving, I'm finally going to install my
Honeywell CMT927 (wireless programmable thermostat) this weekend. I'm
an incorrigible miser when it comes to electricity (delighted now that
carbon footprints are all the rage, I can hop on that bandwaggon, but
my stinginess has nothing as noble as environmental concern behind
it). Anyway, I was going to just take the power feed from the same FCU
as the boiler. But it has occurred to my parsimonious mind that it's
pretty wasteful having the thermostat running for six months of the
year when it's not doing anything. So I'm inclined to give it its own
FCU so I can turn it off next spring, but does anyone have any idea
how much power these things actually use? The documentation that came
with it doesn't say, and I can't even find the thing on Honeywell's
website.

Cheers!

Martin

http://europe.hbc.honeywell.com/prod...6uk07r1006.pdf

Back of a fag packet calcs suggest about £1.50 in electricity for the
closed season, so an FCU would pay for itself in about 3 years.

Well worth it, no?