Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what is the fabric for under the roof tiles?

RobertL wrote:
My house was built in the 1960s and like many it has heavy roof tiles
that are laid on battons which are fixed to the rafters. The tiles
seem to be held there by gravity alone - each one has a lip that
engages with the batton. Between the battons and the rafters is a
sheet of bituminous cloth (it looks like).

What is the purpose of this cloth?

To prevent wind lifting the tiles off, mainly.

It somewaht reduces sucton effects right by te tiles.

Is it to stop the wind which might otherwise (1) blow water up the
tiles and into the roof space and (2) lift off the roof tiles? or it
is to catch any water that does leak in and guide it to the gutter.

the former.

I want to cut this cloth in order to remove as small patch of tiles so
I can do some ridge repairs without having to climb onto the outside
of the roof.

When I repair it afterwards does it need to be watertight or simply
windproof?

Windproof. The tiles are the waterproof layer.

Thanks,

Robert