Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Installing full overlay cabinets under soffit.

on 9/18/2007 1:54 PM JB said the following:
Abit off topic, but I am also getting ready to redo my kitch. I will
be removing soffits and hanging new cabs. I will leave measuring and
installing granite countertops to the pros but I'l be doing removing/
rebuilding some interior walls, new electrical and plumbing. I am not
a professional remodeler. My wife and a few others are telling me to
get the cabs installed by someone else, but I can't believe its all
that difficult. Awkward maybe yes (esp the hanging cabs), but not
difficult. And not worth $1000 to have someone else do it.

I've redone bathrooms, built a deck, and a gazebo. Please tell me
that with good carpentry skills, a level, and some extra hands,
installing floor and hanging cabs ain't that hard.

--Jeff

I've done it many times. The secret is knowing how to measure and level
the cabinets.
I've installed hanging cabinets, by myself alone, by screwing a length
of 2x board along the wall where the bottom of the cabinets should be
located, and then just raising the cabinet and setting the bottom of the
cabinet on this 2x, and while holding the cabinet against the wall at
the top, screwing it into the wall.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY