Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Installing full overlay cabinets under soffit.

Mikepier wrote:
I am planning on redoing my kitchen soon. I have a soffit in my
kitchen which I must keep due to plumbing pipes. I also have to
bring my soffit down a little to accomodate a 6" duct inside that
will vent my range hood. So once the soffit is done, there will be
exactly 48" from the bottom of the soffit to the countertop. In
order to maintain the 18" between the countertop and the bottom of
the cabinet, I pretty much have to butt the 30" cabinet right up to
the soffit, which means there will be no crown molding since this
is a full overlay cabinet.
I was just wondering if this is whats normally done in this
situation, or if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

1. How wide is the soffit?

2. You don't *have* to have 18" from countertop to upper cabinets. In
fact, I find that excessive. I hung mine at 16" and in the past have
used 14". The lower they are the more useable they are.

3. I wouldn't use the soffit as the "liner upper" - I'd hang the
cabinets so they are horizontal. That may result in them being
parallel to the soffits or not so I'd also hang them so there is space
between soffit and cabinet. I cover that space with a molding which
is why I asked how wide your soffits are...gotta have space for the
molding.

4. What do full overlay doors have to do with using a crown molding?
Are you saying there isn't enough exposed space on the top of the face
frame for molding?

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...